Wednesday, June 23, 2010, is the National Call-in Day to Support
Senate Passage of S. 714,
The National Criminal Justice Commission Act
*In 2009, Senator Jim Webb (D-VA) and 15 bipartisan co-sponsors introduced the National Criminal Justice Commission Act, S. 714 http://org2.
On Wednesday, please call the following Senators to ask them to prioritize and support Senate passage of the National Criminal Justice Commission Act as soon as possible:
• *Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), 202-224-5556
• Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), 202-224-3135
• Senate Majority Whip Richard Durbin (D-IL), 202-224-9447*
MESSAGE TO SENATORS:*
Please support S. 714, the National Criminal Justice Commission Act, because:
• Having a transparent and bipartisan Commission review and identify effective criminal justice policies would increase public safety.
• The increase in incarceration over the past twenty years has stretched the system beyond its limits. The high cost to taxpayers is unsustainable, especially during these times of economic downturn.
• The proposed commission would conduct a comprehensive national review and would issue recommendations for reform.
If you have any have any questions about the *Wednesday, June 23rd National Call-In Day*, *please contact Kara Gotsch at**kgotsch@sentencingproject.
Thank you in advance for your help.
The Sentencing Project is located at 1705 DeSales Street, NW 8th Floor, Washington, DC 20036. Send an email staff@
The Sentencing Project is a national, non-profit organization engaged in research and advocacy for criminal justice reform.