Russell Pearce introduces huge anti-immigrant bill.
SB1070 is grab bag of all unsuccessful bills of past years!
Forward this to all your contacts in Arizona. Please attend the Senate Public Safety and Human Services Committee hearing: Wednesday, January 20th at 9:00am
Sponsor: Sen. Russell Pearce
To read the bill's full text: www.azleg.gov (search SB1070)
This bill is a huge, all-encompassing effort to force every government agency in Arizona to criminalize and marginalize immigrant families in Arizona and to keep our state in economic decline. The bill's measures include:
- No governmental entity in the state may adopt a policy that limits or restricts enforcement of federal immigration law to the full extent permitted.
- In all contact by government employees with a person where "reasonable suspicion" exists that the person is undocumented, the person's immigration status must be verified.
- A person commits the crime (minimum class 1 misdemeanor) of trespassing by being in the U.S. illegally.
- A law enforcement officer is authorized to arrest, without warrant, any person the officer believes to be here without legal documentation.
- It is a class one misdemeanor to stop on a public roadway or for a person to enter a vehicle stopped on a public roadway for the purpose of securing employment to perform work at a different location if the vehicle blocks or impedes the flow of traffic.
- It is a class one misdemeanor to transport or conceal someone who is undocumented.
- It is illegal to induce someone who is undocumented to reside in this state.
- The state's employer sanctions law is modified to, among other things, authorize the county attorney to perform investigative functions (take evidence, issue subpoenas and order depositions) related to the law.